"89/100 – An attractive and modern style, this 2009 Allegrini “Palazzo della Torre” is a technically accomplished and well balanced wine.
An intense ruby red colour in the glass, this 2009 Allegrini “Palazzo della Torre” offers aromas of ripe dark cherry, violets and a hint blackcurrant on the nose. Less concentrated than some of the Allegrini family’s other single vineyard wines from within Valpolicella, this “Palazzo della Torre” is clearly a wine that is more approachable in its youth than wines such as (the impressive and age-worthy) Allegrini “La Poja”.
Ripe and quite primary in nature, this 2009 Allegrini “Palazzo della Torre” is very accomplished (if not quite exceptional). It is certainly darker cherry flavours that form the base of this “Palazzo della Torre” with nuances of blackcurrant, clove and raisin adding depth. Medium bodied and juicy in style, there is a good length to this wine, with a lingering finish suggestive of balsamic and cherry notes. Soft and slightly sappy tannins provide support.”
The Independent Wine Review, 15/02/2013
The Allegrini family estate covers 90 hectares of vineyard in the heart of the Valpolicella Classico area. The family has been growing grapes here for several generations, founded by Giovanni Allegrini in 1983.
Each wine has winemaker Franco Allegrini’s distinct stamp of quality, but every one has its own distinctive character. They are among the elite of the world’s best producers of red wines. The family has been growing grapes in Valpolicella for several generations, and the estate in its current form was founded by Giovanni Allegrini. When he died in 1983, it passed to his three children, who ran it together until Walter’s death in July 2003.
Franco now looks after the vineyards and is the winemaker, while Marilisa is director of marketing.
Franco Allegrini used the modern version of the traditional `ripasso` technique for Palazzo della Torre and dried about 30% of the grapes at the state of the art 'Terre di Fumane' drying centre until the first half of January, thereby intensifying the character of this vineyard once vinified. The other 70% of the grapes picked were vinified immediately and then refermented months later with the wine from the dried grapes. The wine spent 15 months in second-use oak barriques, was blended together for 2 months, and then aged for a further 7 months in bottle.
Allegrini affectionately refers to Palazzo della Torre as its “baby Amarone.”