Landelin, an Irish monk, came to the village of Rouffach in modern-day Alsace to convert the pagans early in the 7th century. He met with a violent death around the year 640. Five springs gushed forth from the place where he was slain and several miracles took place on his grave. He was canonised not long after his death, as was the custom at the time. Shortly afterwards a group of monks settled down nearby, establishing a monastery in Saint Landelins honour, on a site east of the Rhine river around the year 725. According to the deeds of the time the vineyards endowed to the monastery in honour of its benefactor were chosen from among the best in Alsace. The "Liber Vitae" book, which was written between 1250 and 1372 and documents the donations and legacies to the "Notre-Dame" church of Rouffach, mentions vines situated near the Saint Landelin Estate several times.
The Clos St Landelin - a 32 acre monopole vineyard - was purchased in 1935 by Mr Alfred Muré of Rouffach, René's grandfather. René Muré and his children Véronique and Thomas represent the 11th and 12th generations of winegrowers. The Muré family are winegrowers in the region of Rouffach since 1648.
The vineyard covers 37.5 acres and is situated at the southern end of the Grand Cru Vorbourg. Its steep south facing slopes are cultivated in terraces. The soil is clay and limestone. Harvesting is done by hand.